Spirited Away Giant Anman
Japanese anko steamed buns
Spirited away is one of my all time favourite movies since childhood. It not only a beautiful story, the animation is beyond gorgeous. In one particular scene, the main character eats a huge Anman bun and it looked so delicious I had to recreate it!
- In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar and yeast in the water and milk. Then add flour and oil, and roughly combine all the ingredients together.
- Transfer the dough onto a working surface and knead it for about 10-15min or until it has a smooth surface and has developed strong gluten formation. Place it in a slightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and let it rest for 40-60min.
- The dough should look a bit larger, shape the dough into a ball and flatten it slightly.
- Take all of the anko and roll it between your hands to make a ball and place it in the centre of the dough.
- Take the edges and pinch it all together to encase the filling. Make sure you don't stretch the dough out too much over the anko filling and shape it into a ball with the pinched side on the bottom.
- Place it on a piece of baking paper, cover it with clingfilm and let it proof for 30min.
- Steam it for 20min and enjoy!