Twisted Prawn Cocktail in Crisp Baskets
Who doesn’t love a prawn cocktail? Always a quintessential favourite for a dinner party when I was growing up… but we just don’t see it much anymore, right?…. Just try kicking it up a notch to make it exciting and this will become your next dinner party show stopper!
In my twisted version I’ve used XL succulent king prawns with a cocktail sauce made from the classic mayo and ketchup combo along with Worcestershire sauce for umami, orange juice for a touch of sweetness, creamed horseradish for the tang, a dash of pernod, fresh dill and some Tabasco for spice. I combined the mixture with crunchy bean sprouts and served it inside a crispy basket made from spring roll wrappers…. The perfect appetiser if I do say so myself!
Now… who wants to try this one??
- Heat a large deep wok with cooking oil
- Place two spring roll wrappers together with the corners not matched, in a crisp cross shape
- Lower the wrappers into the oil once hot and immediately push down in the centre with the back of a small ladle to form a basket shape
- Once crisp, remove and drain on kitchen towels, set aside
- Wash and tail the beansprouts, drain and set aside to dry
- In a saucepan on medium high heat with a little oil, sauté the prawns for a couple of minutes until the colour changes to pinkish and they are cooked through
- In a bowl combine all the remaining ingredients to form the cocktail sauce
- Add the prawns and the beansprouts to the cocktail sauce and combine well
- Spoon the mixture equally into the 4 crispy baskets
- Garnish with micro herbs
- Serve immediately and enjoy!