- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a large, wide bowl. Add the steak to the marinade, ensuring that all the meat is exposed to the marinade.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or up to 4 hours – any longer and the acid from the marinade will break down the meat too much.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and transfer it to a baking sheet or chopping board. Pat the steak dry with some kitchen towel. At this point, it will have absorbed some of the marinade, so it’s less about drying the surface of the meat than it is about getting rid of any excess moisture.
- Heat a large grill pan over medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil and spread it all over the steak.
- Grill the steak for 5 to 8 minutes on each side. Cook time will depend on the thickness of your steak and how you like it cooked; I cooked mine for 5 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes; if you don’t allow it to rest, it will dry out when you slice it.
- Slice the steak against the grain and serve with warm tortillas, guacamole and your favourite salsa – enjoy!