Vegan Korean Japchae
Kicking off Veganuary (late) with some of my absolute fav noods… KOREAN JAPCHAE. I adore the slurpyness (is that even a word?… but you know what I mean 🤣) of sweet potato noodles.
These Korean noodles have the most wonderfully slurpy, chewy texture which soak up sauces and flavours beautifully. Easily available from Amazon and Oriental supermarkets, don’t worry if you can’t find them, rice vermicelli noodles make a perfect substitution!
My recipe is in no way traditional but I promise this one’s a winner and will become a firm favourite!
I like it extra saucy, with a spicy kick from Gochujang paste which balances the sweetness of the Bulgogi sauce… yes I use Bulgogi marinade in the sauce… it’s such a fab pantry sauce which I use for loads of stuff!!
You can add any veggies you like… this time I’ve added thinly sliced onions, garlic, carrots, peppers, courgettes, spring onions & spinach.
Dried Chinese Shiitake mushrooms are a larder staple for me and give this dish a lovely earthiness, simply rehydrate in boiling water for 20 mins and slice thin.
One of my other fav staples is smoked tofu which requires no cooking and makes a great meat substitute. A block lasts well over a month in the fridge, it already has a ton of flavour so can be eaten cold in a salad or added to a quick stir fry.
Once you try these noods, you seriously won’t be able to stop… they are so addictive!!
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil, add the noodles and cook according to packet instructions, drain and refresh under cold water
- Add 1 tsp of sesame oil to the noodles to stop them drying out
- In the same pan add the spinach and blanch for for 30 seconds, drain and squeeze out excess liquid, set aside
- In the same pan add the mushrooms and boil for 20 mins, drain, then slice thinly, set aside
- In a small frying pan with a 1 tbsp sesame oil fry the tofu until crisp, drain on kitchen paper and set aside
- In a small bowl mix together the soya sauce, bulgogi marinade, brown sugar, 3 tbsp sesame oil, Gochujang paste and black pepper, set aside
- In a large wok with a little oil on medium high heat, stir fry the onions and garlic for a minute, add in the carrots, mushrooms and red pepper, stir fry for another minute
- Then add the courgette and spring onions (reserve a few for garnish) and sauté again for a minute
- Reduce the heat slightly and add in the noodles, fried tofu, blanched spinach and sauce
- Toss util heated through and so all the ingredients are combined
- Serve hot garnished with sesame seeds and spring onions