Italian Buttercream Recipe
The first buttercream I ever tried which made me fall in love with cake decorating! Its beautiful smooth finish, subtle sweetness, and airy consistency will have your bag for more! Perfect for both filling and decorating your cakes and bakes.
Jump to method
large egg whites at room temperature.
unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into 1-inch pieces.
pure vanilla extract, optional.
cream of tartar.
Jump to ingredients
- Beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar, slowly add in 89 g of the sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- While the eggs are getting whipped add the remaining sugar and the water into a medium pot and place on medium-low heat.
- Stir until sugar melts and becomes clear.
- Maintain at medium-high heat until temperature reads 235-240F.
- Drizzle the sugar into the mixer immediately. At this point, the meringue should be at the soft peak stage.
- Run mixer until meringue is cool/tepid.
- Switch to a paddle attachment. Add room temperature butter into the running mixer one tablespoon piece at a time.
- Add the salt and vanilla if using.
- Beat until butter is combined and the mixture has reached a silky consistency.