- Bring a pan of water to the boil and blanch the spinach briefly and rinse immediatly under cold water. Let the spinach drain and cool before use.
- First take the flank steak out of the refrigerator and remove all loose membranes.
- To prepare the flank steak so that you can roll it up, you’ll need to butterfly it, or have your butcher do it, so that it opens up like a book.
- You’ll need a sharp long knife and a steady hand. Orient the flank steak so that the short end faces you, place your hand down on the steak and make a horizontal cut along the long side of the steak, cutting the meat almost in half, stopping when you still have about an inch to go. Then open it like a book!
- Season the flank steak with salt and ground peper.
- Cover the flank steak with the Italian ham, cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and the spinach. Make sure before you add the spinach that almost no moisture is lefft in it.
- Now roll up the flank steak tightly and make sure you roll it up 90 degrees from the wire in the meat.
- Put the cocktail sticks through the flank steak like you can see on the pictue below.
- Slice with a sharp knive between the cocktail sticks and you have your flank steak pinwheels.
Preparation spicy Aioli
- Peel and chop the garlic.
- Take the cup of a blender and add the egg yolks, garlic, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Place the blender in the cub and put it on and add the sunflower oil. Move the blender slowely up and down to make a perfect aioli. Check if the aioli is smooth.
- Add the sambal and stir it through the aioli. Taste the aioli and maybe add some more sambal till it suits your tast.
Grilling the flank steak pinwheels
- Fill the grill with lump charcoal and start a fire with two firelighters on the left and right between the charcoal. Let it burn for about 5 minutes with the cover open, install one diffuser plate on the bottom because we are going to grill direct above charcoal and indirect. Install the grill grate on both sides. Once the stone is warmed thoroughly close the lid and make sure the bottom and top vents are open. Close your kamado and adjust the temperature to about 180℃ At this point, almost close the the bottom vent, leaving it open just a little. Close the top vent till it's open for 1/8.
- When the temperature has reached 180℃ you can put the pinwheels on the grill grate above indirect heat.
- Close the lid and measure the core temperature after 25 minuts and check if it's around 46℃ . When it's below close the lid and check again a little later.
- When the core temperature is 46℃ move the pinwheels to direct heat and leave the lid open. Grill the pinwheels on both sides for about 1 or 2 minuts.
- Serve this delicious BBQ snack with the spicy aioli which gives a great taste experience.
Good luck making, and greetings from GrillFun!!!