Making the Malpua
- In a large bowl add semolina, all purpose flour, crushed black peppercorns, crushed fennel seeds, milk mawa powder, confectioners sugar and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add milk and make into a smooth batter.
- Let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes.
- In a pan pour sugar and water. Cook till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add cardamom powder, saffron strands and lemon juice. Cook till a syrup of one string forms.
- Remove the pan from heat and keep aside.
Frying the Malpua
- Heat ghee in a pan enough to immerse the malpua completely.
- Take a ladle full of batter and gently lower it on the ghee. Cook for a minute before flipping the other side. Both sides should be golden brown. Do not overcrowd the pan and take care that the malpua do not touch each other and stick together. Repeat for the rest.
- Soak the fried malpua in the sugar syrup for 5 mins. Remove.
- Garnish malpua with pistachios, slivered almonds, crushed rose petals and crushed saffron.
- Pour the remaining sugar syrup on top.
- Serve malpua hot or cold.