Making the meatballs:
- Heat your oven to the highest it can go. Line a large baking tray with foil; lightly grease the foil with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the torn bread pieces with the milk. Let the bread soak in the milk for 5 to 10 minutes. Wring out the excess milk and transfer the soaked bread to a large bowl.
- Add the garlic, egg, cheese, flat-leaf parsley and dried herbs. Season lightly with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper and stir well to combine. You want all the ingredients to be well incorporated.
- Add the pork sausagemeat and beef mince and season with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Using your hands, gently combine the meats with the other ingredients. Be careful not to overmix; overmixing makes for tough, dense meatballs.
- Divide the mixture into 12 and roll into balls. Arrange the meatballs in a single layer on the foil-lined baking tray.
- Roast on the top rack of the oven for 15 minutes, or until starting to brown.
Making the sauce:
- Meanwhile, heat a good glug of extra-virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sweet onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the white wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is almost all reduced. Add the crushed tinned tomatoes, season with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Carefully add the meatballs to the sauce. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Tear and stir in the fresh basil. Taste and season with extra sea salt and freshly-ground pepper, if necessary. Enjoy!