- Cut up the tuna in to small cubes approximately 0.5 cm x 0.5 cm
- Mix all of the other ingredients together & mix with the tuna.
- Lay out 2 rectangular sheets of either tin foil or banana leaves & form a thick compact “sausage” shape with the tuna mixture on each sheet. Roll the sheets up tightly & twist the ends closed.
- Place the rolls in a refrigerator for a few hours or overnight to allow the flavours to blend & the rolls to bind together.
- Remove from the fridge about an hour before cooking, then place the foil/banana leaf rolls in an ovenproof dish & place in the oven at 170 degrees (fan) for about 20 minutes (take care not to overcook the tuna or it will dry out).
- Remove from the oven & stand for 5 minutes before serving, still in the cooking foil/leaf.
- Serve with rice and a mango or tomato salsa, plus some plain yoghurt. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Prep 40 minutes
Total 4 hours
US | Metric
Nicki Tong's Balinese Coconut Fish
Inspired by a visit to a yoga retreat - tastes delicious and looks stunning on the plate!
Our thanks to Nicki Tong for providing this recipe.
300 g Tuna
1 tbsp Grated creamed coconut
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Turmeric
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
½ tsp Salt
1 dsp Sesame Oil or Coconut Oil
1 dsp Honey or Sweet Chili Sauce
Fresh Coriander to garnish