- Peel and finely chop the garlic and onion.
- Brush the mushrooms clean and chop them in really fine piece because we need them for the stuffing.
- Put a pan on the fire with a little olive oil. Fry the onion and garlic briefly and add the mushrooms.
- Season with the zest of 1 lemon and the juice of half a lemon, salt and ground pepper.
- Fry until the mushrooms are tender and all the moisture in the pan has evaporated.
- Let the mushroom mixture cool.
- Remove the beef from the refrigerator.
- You’ll need a sharp long knife and a steady hand. Orient the flank steak so that the short end faces you, place your hand down on the steak and make a horizontal cut along the long side of the steak, cutting the meat almost in half, stopping when you still have about an inch to go. Then open it like a book!
- Season the flank steak with salt and ground peper.
- Cover the meat with the ham and divide the mushroom mixture over it.
- Now roll up the flank steak tightly and make sure you roll it up 90 degrees from the wire in the meat. Take the butcher rope and tie it well so that you get a nice roulade.
- Rub the roulade with a little olive oil and season the outside with salt, ground peper and thyme.
Grilling the roulade
- Remove the leg of roulade from the refrigerator at least one hour before you put it on your grill.
- Fill the grill with lump charcoal and start a fire with two firelighters on the left and right between the charcoal. Let it burn for about 5 minutes with the cover open, install one diffuser plate on the bottom because we are going to grill direct above charcoal and indirect. Install the grill grate on both sides. Once the stone is warmed thoroughly close the lid and make sure the bottom and top vents are open. Close your kamado and adjust the temperature to about 180℃ At this point, almost close the the bottom vent, leaving it open just a little. Close the top vent till it's open for 1/8.
- When the temperature has reached 180℃ you can put the roulade on the grill grate above indirect heat.
- Add a core temperature meter in the roulade like the Meater + I used. Close the lid and measure the core temperature till if it's around 50℃ .
- When the core temperature is 50℃ move the roulade to direct heat and leave the lid open. Grill the roulade all around till the outside has a nice color.
- Let the roulade rest for about 10 minuts before serve.
Serve the roulade with a homemade pepper sauce and, for example, potato croquettes and green beans fried with onion and bacon cubes.
Good luck making, and greetings from GrillFun!!!