For The Prawns/Bacon/Corn
- Pre heat the oven to 190c
- Take the prawns and add the olive oil, Berbere and salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Leave in the fridge (minimum 1 hour-24hours) until ready to cook.
- In a small pan place on a medium heat. When the pan starts lightly smoking, add the lardons and cook until lightly crisp. Remove from the pan but keep the fat in the pan ready for the prawns later.
- Smother the corn in the butter, season with salt and pepper and wrap tightly in tin foil. Place on a baking tray and place in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove when cooked and keep in foil to keep warm until ready to use.
For The Grits
- Add the milk, cream and stock to a large saucepan and gently bring to the boil.
- Once the liquid starts to boil, bring the heat down to a low temperature and gradually add in and whisk constantly the cornmeal/polenta. When all is added, place a lid on the pan and cook according to packet instructions stirring a couple of times.
- Once done, stir through the butter and cheese, season with salt and pepper and replace the lid to keep warm until ready to use.
For The Hush Puppies
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and cayenne all together.
- Add the buttermilk, onion, egg and chives until full mixed. It will be a very tacky consistency.
- Distribute the mixture into equal amounts (about 2 inches in size).
- In a large deep pan, fill an inch in depth with vegetable oil and heat on a medium high heat.
- Carefully add the mixture to the oil and cook 2 minutes a side or until golden all over.
- Transfer to drain on kitchen roll and serve immediately while hot.
Bringing The Dish Together
- In the pan you cooked the bacon in, add a dash of olive oil and put on a medium high heat
- add the prawns to the pan and cook for 4 minutes
- Add the bacon and cook for another 2 minutes
- Plate up the grits and add the prawns and bacon on top ensuring all the oils and bits are scraped out of the pan
- Remove the corn from the foil and roll in the hot pan the prawns and bacon were in for 1 minute
- Plate up the hush puppies with a dipping sauce