Easy ricotta donuts
donuts! We all love them but they really are a labour of love, allowing the dough to rise then rise again. These donuts need no yeast and take no time at all! You can serve these however you like. Hot Nutella sauce? cold ice-cream? raspberry jam and flaked roasted almonds! wow .....the list is endless. Give them a try you won't be disappointed!
- heat the veg oil in a wide deep pan. Make sure the oil is at least 3 cm deep, it needs to reach 170'c
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, ricotta, lemon zest and vanilla until smooth.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into the wet mix and using a spatula mix until you have a smooth thick batter.
- At this stage if the batter feels more like a stiff dough slowly add the milk. The mixture should be thick and sticky.
- Check your oil is at the right temperature with a thermometer, if the oil is too hot pull the pan from the heat to cool down.
- Take two spoons and gently heat them in the oil, once the spoons are hot take 1 level spoon of the batter and using the second spoon scrape the mix off carefully into the oil.
- Fry the donuts in batches of 3-4 do not over crowd the pan. Flipping them occasionally to cook evenly.
- After 3-4 minutes they should have a even golden colour remove from the oil and drain onto kitchen roll.
- While the donuts are warm toss them in caster sugar and serve! or you can add some toppings of your choice, I used honey and chopped pistachios.