“Masalafied” Aubergine with Crispy Curry Leaves
#MeatFreeMonday sorted for you guys with this gorgeous vegan curry… melt in your mouth sautéed aubergine flavoured with Indian spices all simmered in a thick tomato and onion sauce. The perfect weeknight quick meal, light, nutritious and so delicious served with fluffy Basmati rice or naan/ rotis for tearing and scooping!
- Cut the eggplants into disc shapes
- Put the eggplant into a colander and sprinkle with the salt, leave to drain for half an hour then dab the moisture with a kitchen towel and set aside
- Heat a little oil in a saucepan on medium high heat, add the sliced onions and cook until soft, then add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and cook until the seeds start popping
- Once the curry leaves have crisped up, remove half of them and set aside to garnish later
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another minute until starting to brown
- Then add the cayenne pepper, turmeric, garam masala and cumin, cook out the spices for a few minutes then add the tomato paste and water, reduce the heat and let the sauce cook on a simmer for about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan heat a generous amount of oil on medium high and add the eggplant in a single layer, sauté until they become slightly golden at the edges
- Once all the aubergine is coloured add them to the sauce gently making sure to mix well into the masala
- Add the lemon juice and salt
- Continue to cook on a simmer until the aubergine is cooked through for another 15 minutes or so
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with the crispy curry leaves
- Enjoy hot with steamed Basmati rice or rotis/ naans to scoop up the deliciousness!