- First take the flank steak out of the refrigerator and remove all loose membranes.
- To prepare the flank steak so that you can roll it up, you’ll need to butterfly it, or have your butcher do it, so that it opens up like a book.
- You’ll need a sharp long knife and a steady hand. Orient the flank steak so that the short end faces you, place your hand down on the steak and make a horizontal cut along the long side of the steak, cutting the meat almost in half, stopping when you still have about an inch to go. Then open it like a book!
- Cut about 6 pieces of the butcher rope and place them on a cutting board.
- Place the meat on the butcher rope and coat the flank steak with the green pesto.
- Cut the olives into rings and the sun-dried tomatoes into strips.
- Roast the pine nuts in a little olive oil in a pan till brown.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts with the olives and sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan on the pesto.
- Then you roll up the flank steak with the stuffing and use the butcher rope to hold it together. Cut the ends off the butcher robe and you have a stuffed flank steak.
Grilling the stuffed flank steak
- Fill the grill with lump charcoal and start a fire with two firelighters on the left and right between the charcoal. Let it burn for about 5 minutes with the cover open, install the diffuser plate on the bottom of the rack so it sits just above the charcoal and leave for about another 5 minutes. Once the stone is warmed thoroughly close the lid and make sure the bottom and top vents are open. Close your BBQ and adjust the temperature to about 120℃ At this point, almost close the the bottom vent, leaving it open just a little. Close the top vent till it's open for 1/8.
- When the temperature has reached 120℃ you can put the flank steak on the grill grate.
- Close the lid until the flank steak has reached a core temperature of 49℃ .
- Open the lid and place the flank steak on a cutting board. Remove the diffuser plate from the BBQ and open the bottom and top vents. Wait till the BBQ is really hot like around 250℃ .
- Place the flank steak above direct heat and grill it on each side for about 1 or 2 minuts till it has a nice brown color.
- Remove the flank steak and let it rest for a couple off minuts before serving.
Good luck making, and greetings from GrillFun!!!