Indo-Chinese Spicy Masala Roast Chicken Served With Garlicky Green Rice
Insanely juicy and soooo flavourful, this masala roast chicken is my Mamas recipe, one she’s been making for family dinners since I can remember. Such a quick to prepare marinade using basic pantry ingredients with Oriental and Indian flavours combined… spicy… ‘masalafied’ and just umami bursting!!.
Soya sauce, rice wine and maggie seasoning liquid mixed with dry spices of coriander, cumin, garam masala and chilli powder, added to this there is also a ton of fresh ginger, garlic and a even a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
Butter basted throughout cooking… even with a compound butter, I used my curry leaf butter to baste this time and it was phenomenal!!
Do you own a meat flavour marinade injector?… It has to be one of my favourite kitchen gadgets because you can get flavours to penetrate all the way down to the bone. If you don’t own a flavour injector then just rub the marinade on the chicken inside and out, the way Mama still does it. She didn’t rotisserie the bird either, it was roasted in the oven whole or cut in to pieces.
Served up with my garlicky emerald green kale rice and charred veggies, perfect with a roast.
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and mix well
- If your meat marinade injector has a small hole which will not allow the ginger & garlic to pass through, strain this out of the marinade and inject the bird with the strained liquid using the process below. You can then rub the ginger and garlic on the outside of the chicken as well as inside the cavity.
- Insert the injector into the marinade making sure the perforations are completely submerged
- Pull back the plunger and fill the injector with the marinade
- To inject the chicken, insert the needle into the drumsticks and wings and slowly push it into the opposite side being careful not to rip the skin
- Inject the marinade slowly until you feel pressure pushing back, as you withdraw the needle, slowly inject more sauce to allow for even distribution of the flavours
- Don’t go too fast or the built up pressure will cause the the marinade to squirt out at you, then using the same method, inject the chicken breasts a few times
- If you have extra marinade then rub it all over the chicken
- Rub the butter all over the chicken, under the skin and inside the cavity
- Cook the chicken using your desired method, roasting in the oven at a temperature of 175C, smoked on the BBQ or grilled on a rotisserie
- Cooking times vary so it’s best to use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is cooked all over with an internal temperature of 170C
METHOD FOR RICE
Sauté garlic and onions on med heat in a little oil until translucent, add the kale and cook till soft. Add the cooked brown rice, mix thoroughly and season.