You can jump to the right spot in the video by clicking the Watch buttons in the method steps. Or watch the video start to finish at the bottom of the page.
- Preheat to oven to 240℃ (gas mark 9).
- Make a 'trivet' for the meat by chopping an onion and some carrots and put them into a baking tray. Watch
- Make some diagonal, overlapping cuts into the skin of the pork. You can ask your butcher to do this for you. It's the key to getting really crispy crackling. Watch
- Put the meat onto a wire rack (or straight on top of the vegetables if you don't have one). Watch
- Rub a good slug of olive oil right into the skin. Watch
- Grab a good pinch of sea salt and sprinkle over the pork skin, rubbing it really well into the skins and the cracks where the cuts are. Watch
- Pour some water into the tray to provide some moisture and stop the vegetables from burning. Watch
- Pop the meat into the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 160℃ (gas mark 3) for about 2 hours to cook through properly.
- To finish off, crank the oven back up to 240℃ (gas mark 9) for about 10 minutes to make sure the crackling is really crispy.
- The big reveal - cutting into the pork belly! Watch