- Heat your oven to 200℃. Arrange the aubergine chunks in a single layer in a roasting tin. Add the rosemary and a generous glug of extra-virgin olive oil and toss to combine. Season with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper and toss again. Roast for 45 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Heat some extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and season with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until it begins to darken, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and water, season with more sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper and bring the sauce to a simmer. Reduce the heat down to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the roasted aubergine to the sauce and stir to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then cook on low for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat. Add the fresh basil and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning, to taste, then toss with spaghetti and serve. Enjoy!