- First make the ground rice. Toast the uncooked sticky rice in a frying pan over a medium heat for a few minutes until golden brown. Crush in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder until you have a fairly fine powder. Set aside.
- Season the rump steak generously and cook the on a griddle for 4- 6 minutes (for medium-rare) and rest for 10 minutes.
- To make the dressing, crush the chillies in a pestle and mortar. Use one if you don’t like it too hot. Add the rest of the dressing ingredients and gentle bash it together. It will look like it won’t come together but then suddenly it will. Taste the dressing as it may need more fish sauce or lime juice.
- Quarter the tomatoes, seed and dice the cucumber, finely slice the red onion and mix together with the bean sprouts and the herbs. Add half the dressing and toss to coat.
- Place the salad on a plate and then slice the rump up and put this on top of the salad.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing, scatter over the ground rice and serve.
Thai style rump steak salad with peanut butter dressing by William Leigh
20% discount for over 70's and key workers.
Work time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
US | Metric
|red onion, peeled||
|Handful of roughly chopped coriander||
|Handful of roughly chopped mint||
|Thai sticky rice||
For the Dressing
|bird's eye chilli||