- Peel and core the Granny Smith apples, or open and drain the tinned apples ( 3 x 100 g tins) and chop into small pieces.
- Add the apple pieces to a pot with the light brown sugar, unsalted butter and A&O Mint Tinsel Festive Seasoning over a medium heat.
- Stir until the butter and sugar have completely melted down and cook for 10 minutes.
- Place a large strainer over a bowl and empty the apple and all the liquid into the strainer.
- Pour all the liquid that's caught into the bowl back into the pot and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring continuously until the liquid has reduced and thickened.
- When thickened, take off the heat and add the apples back into the pot and mix everything together.
- Transfer into a container or bowl to cool.
- To make the crumble topping, mix the plain flour, rolled oats and caster sugar and then rub the cold, unsalted butter cubes a little at a time into the flour mix until small crumbs form. Set aside.
- Roll out the sweet shortcrust pastry until about 5mm thick, place into and place into an 11 inch pie dish and trim the edges.
- Blind bake using baking paper and baking beans or rice for 15 minutes at 180℃ until golden.
- Allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before adding the cooled apple filling and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle over the crumble mix and bake at 180℃ for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes (if you can resist!) before slicing.
- Serve with ice cream or a drizzle of toffee sauce.
Prep 30 minutes
Total 1 hour 30 minutes
US | Metric
Angus & Oink's Xmas Toffee Apple Crumble Pie
Christmas can come early with our Meat Tinsel Festive Seasoning. This mind-boggling dessert captures all the flavour profiles of toffee, apple pie and Christmas!
Our thanks to Angus and Oink for this recipe. Find much more in their online Catalogue and Recipes Flipbook - with recipes coupled with loads of How To advice.
500 g Apples (Granny Smith or Tinned)
4 Heaped tablespoon Light brown sugar
4 Heaped tablespoon Unsalted butter
2 tbsps A&O Mint Tinsel Festive Seasoning
300 g Sweet shortcrust pastry (homemade or bought in)
200 g Plain foour
50 g Rolled oats
100 g Cold unsalted butter (cubed)
100 g Caster sugar
Toffee / Caramel sauce