Here's how I make and assemble the beans on toast cake. Find the detailed method below.
To make the lemon sponge
- Preheat your oven to 160℃.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, eggs, oil and half of the lemon juice to a smooth batter.
- Pour into your parchment lined loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when baked. You can check this by inserting a small knife into the centre of your cake. If the knife comes out clean, it's cooked. If your cake needs a bit more time, put back in the oven and check every 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 2 hours.
To grill the sponge
- Once cool, remove from the tin and cut into 6 even slices.
- Brush each slice on both sides with the remaining lemon juice. Watch how.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to a medium heat and one by one, grill your slices of cake, 6 seconds on each side. Not only does this make your sponge look like toast, it tastes amazing!
To make the marzipan beans
- First blend your almonds and sugar in a food processor to a fine powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk your egg white for 30 seconds, then mix in the almonds and sugar to form a thick paste. Put in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Now for the time consuming part. You need to transform your marzipan by picking off small amounts and rolling by hand into imitation beans.
- Once you've made all your beans, put to one side.
- Next mix your golden syrup, double cream and orange juice in a bowl.
- Add a couple of drops of your food colouring, stirring as you go, until you get the colour of baked bean sauce.
- Add your marzipan beans and mix gently, being careful not to damage the beans.
- To serve, simply divide your beans between your slices of cake. Watch how.