- Heat a splash of extra-virgin olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and season with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the tomato purée and cook, stirring constantly, until it begins to darken, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and sugar, if using. Fill 1 tin with water and add it to the sauce.
- Season with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper and stir to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mascarpone and stir to combine. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the parmigiano reggiano and fresh basil and remove the saucepan from the heat. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
- To serve: cook your pasta in salted boiling water. Transfer the cooked pasta the sauce. Add a splash of the pasta cooking water and toss until the sauce nicely coats the pasta. Enjoy!