Making the rice:
- Rinse the rice in a sieve under running cold water. Place the sieve over a bowl and allow the water to drain off.
- Combine the coconut cream, Thai green curry paste, roughly-torn kaffir lime leaves, water and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat, stirring to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Stir in the rinsed rice and bring back to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 12 mins.
- Remove from heat and let sit for a further 5 mins, keeping the lid on.
- Remove the lid. Using a fork or spoon, remove the pieces of kaffir lime leaf.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and transfer to a large baking dish to cool; spreading it out into a single layer will allow it to cool faster. Cool at least 30 mins or up to overnight.
MAKE AHEAD: the rice can be made up to 3 days in advance; cool, place in an airtight container and refrigerate. Alternatively, cool, place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month; thaw in fridge overnight before use.
Making the fried rice:
- Boil the peas according to package instructions. Drain, set aside and allow to cool.
- Now it’s time to prep the rest of the ingredients. From this point onwards, the fried rice comes together very quickly, so it’s important you have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go. 1) Get the prawns out of the package and into a bowl. 2) Finely slice the lemongrass. 3) Finely chop the ginger and garlic. 4) Measure out the sea salt, white pepper and palm sugar. 5) Measure out the light soy sauce.
- Heat the vegetable oil over high heat in a 31 cm (12 ¼ inch) wok. If you don’t have a wok, use a large sauté pan.
- Add the prawns and stir-fry for 2 mins.
- Add the lemongrass, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 1 min.
- Add the sea salt, white pepper and palm sugar and toss to combine.
- Add the cooled rice and peas. Stir-fry, tossing continually, until the rice and peas are heated through, around 2 to 4 mins.
- Divide the fried rice among bowls. Optional: to serve, top with crispy onions and sliced fresh chillies.
STORAGE: the fried rice can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days; cool, place in an airtight container and refrigerate—to reheat, heat in microwave on high until piping hot. Alternatively, cool, place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months—to reheat, thaw in fridge overnight then stir-fry over medium-high heat until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes, or microwave on high until piping hot.