Click here to sign up to Masters of Maylasian Cuisine and get more recipes.
- Heat a large deep saucepan over a medium heat and add 2 litres of water.
- Add the beef and salt and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. In a separate saucepan, bring 2 litres of water to the boil over a medium heat.
- Add the egg noodles and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until soft. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Heat a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Add the oil and saute the onion and garlic until fragrant and golden brown. Add the chilli paste, tomato puree, sugar, shrimps and peanuts.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then transfer to the pan of beef and stock.
- Give it a good mix and turn the heat back to medium.
- Bring to the boil, then add the noodles, beansprouts and pak choy.
- Cook for 2 minutes, until the vegetables have wilted.
- Serve in small bowls, garnished with the chillies, fried shallots, spring onions and hard-boiled eggs, and serve straight away.
Youtube recipe tutorial