ONE POT ZAALOUK
Moroccan Inspired Zaalouk
Line a baking try with foil and place the sweet potato on the try. Poke holes into the sweet potato and bake until tender.
1. Trim the stems from the eggplant and finely chop it. (You can peel the skin from the eggplant)
2. In hot pan over medium heat, add the rapeseed oil then sauté the onion until they are soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30seconds. Then add the spices (cumin, paprika, cayenne, coriander). Stir to combine and cook for a minute make.
3. Stir in the chopped tomatoes until the eggplant is mixed in with the eggplant.
4. Cover and cook over medium to low heat for about 20minutes until the eggplant has softened.
5. Stir well and add a bit of water if everything is sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes. Once the eggplant and tomatoes are soft, start mashing everything until it forms a paste like sauce.
6. Cook for another 5 minutes or until an excess liquids have reduced. Add salt & pepper and mash again if it’s still chunky.
7. Add the coriander and mix it through with other ingredients.
For the Mince- In a hot pan with oil, fry the mince until golden brown and season with salt and pepper.
Serve ….or like me serve with baked sweet potato, vegan mince with veggies and garnished with pomegranates.