- Preheat the oven to 180℃ gas mark 4. Put the morels in a small bowl, cover with 150 ml boiling water and leave to soak.
- Season the lamb well with salt and pepper. Heat a flameproof casserole, then add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the lamb and sear on all sides. When browned, remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the casserole with the celery, garlic, and onions. Cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Remove the soaked mushrooms and add to the pan. Strain the soaking liquid through a fine sieve (to ensure there is no grit) into the casserole. Boil to reduce the liquid by half, then add the chopped tomatoes and wine. Bring to a simmer.
- Return the lamb to the casserole. Cover with a lid and place in the oven to cook for 2 hours, until the sauce is thick and the lamb is tender.
- For the polenta, bring the water to a simmer, add salt, whisk in the polenta and cook, stirring, on a low heat for 10 minutes or until the polenta comes away from the sides of the pan. Add the goat butter and Pecorino cheese and stir vigorously.
- Check the seasoning before serving hot, atop the wet polenta, garnished with the hot asparagus and wild garlic leaves.
Richard H. Turner's Braised Lamb Shoulder with Wet Polenta, Wild Garlic and Asparagus
20% discount for over 70's and key workers.
Work time: 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
US | Metric
|dried morel mushrooms||
|extra virgin olive oil||
|Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper||
|red onions, peeled and chopped finely||
|celery sticks, chopped finely||
|garlic clove, sliced||
|400g can of chopped Italian plum tomatoes||
For the polenta
|salted goat's butter||
For the garnish
|bunch of asparagus, peeled and cooked||
|bunch of wild garlic. Washed||