Bulgogi, Five Spice & Wasabi Slow Smoked Silverside Joint
Tender, juicy and rich with flavour, this gorgeous 6 hour slow smoked silverside of beef is the perfect alternative to your Sunday roast.
A rub and marinade made using Oriental flavours of bulgogi sauce, five spice powder, wasabi powder, Japanese shichimi chilli powder garlic powder, porcini mushroom powder, salt, pepper and sugar.
Thinly carved and served with crusty baguette, a crunchy Oriental cabbage salad, juicy sliced tomatoes, blistered padron peppers and some tangy horseradish sauce.
Although the flavour of the marinade doesn’t go deep into the centre of a thick cut of meat like this one, there was a hint of smokey concentration of wasabi and chilli pepper which paired beautifully with the juicy tomatoes, cabbage salad and horseradish, almost like an Asian inspired Reuben sandwich!!
The ThermoPro TP27 BBQ Wireless Meat Thermometer is an indispensable tool for making the most tender and succulent, beautifully cooked meat without the stress of over or under cooking. Get yours today from Amazon UK… link in my stories!
ThermoPro TP27 BBQ Wireless Meat Thermometer @thermopro.official
Raman Spice Premium 100% Natural Five Spice Powder @ramanspiceuk
Silverside Beef joint - @hilton_and_family_butchers
- Mix together all the dry rub ingredients in a pestle and mortar, set aside
- Trim off any excess membranes from the meat
- Place the silverside joint in a large tray and pour over the bulgogi marinade, massage this into the meat, then add the dry rub ingredients and rub all over the joint, marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight
- Get your BBQ ready to a temperature of 225°F on indirect heat, add some wood chips for smoking
- Place a drip pan 1/3 full with water under the grills then place the meat fat side down
- Insert the ThermoPro temperature probe in the thickest part of the meat, close the lid of the BBQ and try to keep the temperature constant and low for around 5-6 hours
- Leave it on the grill until the inner temperature reaches 55° C / 130° F and add extra charcoal and wood chips if needed during the 5-6 hours
- Remove it, wrap it in aluminum foil and a towel, and let it rest for 40-50 minutes before serving, the resting period is very important, especially for this cut
- Carve the meat against the grain as thin as you can to keep it tender
- Serve with your favourite accompaniments, we served this one with horseradish sauce, crusty bread, an oriental cabbage salad and a simple tri coloured tomato salad
METHOD TOMATO SALAD
Arrange the sliced tomatoes on a serving plate, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic, season with sea salt flakes and black pepper and finish with your desired salad seed mix
METHOD CABBAGE SALAD
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and leave to marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature before serving