Cheesy Cauliflower, Sweetcorn & Banana Blossom Fritters with Guacamole & Sour Cream
Crispy, cheesy, packed with veg and so delish, the first time I’ve tried cooking with banana blossom and I am amazed, the fritters had the most meaty texture almost like a chicken nugget (really!), I can’t wait to experiment more with it!
If you’ve never heard of banana blossom, it comes from South-East Asia and looks a bit like an artichoke, the tinned variety is easier to come across than fresh and is now available at most supermarkets. It’s also known as “banana heart”, has a purple skin and grows at the end of a banana fruit cluster. Actually best known for being an ideal vegan substitute for fish... my next test recipe I think!
These fritters were super easy to make and devoured by my whole fam... I topped them with fresh guacamole, sour cream and finely chopped chives.
- Shred the cauliflower in a food processor or grate with a large cheese grater
- Drain and squeeze the banana blossom and chop fine
- Add the cauliflower and banana blossom into a large bowl
- Mix in the cheese sweet corn, eggs, flour, spring onions, chilli powder, salt and pepper until everything is evenly combined
- Add a few tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat, drop about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan for each fritter and flatten to form a thick disc shape
- Cook fritters a few minutes on each side until crispy. Make sure one side is completely browned and cooked before you try to flip the fritter over
- Repeat with the remaining fritters until they are all golden and crispy, add more oil to the pan if needed
- When ready to eat top with guacamole, a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives
**The fritters can be made in advance and heated in the oven at 180°C for about 10 minutes**