Crispy Spicy Salt & Pepper Squid with Garlic & Chilli
Deep fried to golden perfection, mixed with crispy garlic, chilli and spring onions… this plate was so good it was demolished in seconds!!
I used the spicy salt and pepper blend from Pureety which I was kindly gifted, the flavours were perfect for squid.. loved this blend and can’t wait to try it with more dishes… available on @pureetyathome website:
If you can’t get a hold of this spice blend then I have included an alternative one you can make at home yourself.
- In a saucepan with a good glug of oil, fry the garlic for a few minutes, then add the spring onions, red chillis and spice mix, cook until the garlic becomes golden and crispy, remove from the heat and set aside
- Mix together the batter ingredients and whisk vigorously, it is important that the batter stays cold, if you feel the temperature is dropping then you can keep the bowl on top of a larger bowl of ice
- In a wok start to heat up about 5cm of oil to 180°C
- While the oil is heating sift the flour and spice mix into a large bowl
- Dredge each squid tube ring in the flour mix first
- Coat each ring in batter and let the excess drip off
- Place one ring at a time in the hot oil
- Each piece will take a couple of minutes, turn if needed so you get an even golden crisp coating on both sides, place squid rings on kitchen towels to drain excess oil
- Repeat with the remaining pieces
- Add the fried squid to the garlic and chilli mix and mix well
- Arrange on a serving platter, enjoy while still hot and crispy!