Crispy Chinese Chicken with a Lemon Drizzle
This is one from my childhood... my Mama made this for us all the time... just look at the colour of that batter, extra rich from using only egg yolks in the batter and so flavourful from a mix of garlic powder and five spice. This is no sickly sweet Chinese take-away lemon chicken my friends... this one is the real deal.
THE CRUNCH IS INSANE and it’s drizzled with a tangy lemon sauce which has the perfect amount of sweetness... I could demolish the whole plate! Serve with your fav accompaniments, I made egg fried rice and stir fried veggies... winner winner chicken dinner!!
- In a saucepan over a low heat pour all lemon sauce ingredients and whisk on a low flame until the sauce boils and thickens
- Meanwhile, on a chopping board pound the chicken breasts out slightly to flatten to about 1cm thick and cut them into half, set aside
- In a bowl, mix the cornflour and water together, add in the 4 yolks, garlic powder, five spice, salt and pepper, mix to combine, set aside
- On a medium heat heat about 3” of oil until hot
- Dip one chicken piece into the batter then lift out to let the excess drip off
- Carefully place the battered chicken into the hot oil one at a time so you don’t overcrowd the pan
- Fry until cooked through, golden and crisp
- Drain on kitchen towels and repeat with the remaining pieces
- Slice each piece on the diagonal into large strips and arrange on your serving plate
- Drizzle with lemon sauce, sprinkle over the chopped spring onions and serve immediately with the remaining sauce on the side
- Enjoy with egg fried rice, stir fried veggies and your favourite chilli sauce!