Aubergine Burrata Stack With Pistachio Basil Pesto
It’s #NationalVegetarianWeek so thought I’d kick my week of with these beauts... super easy to make, baked in the oven until soooo crisp then sandwiched between burrata and homemade marinara sauce, topped with more (because you can never have enough burrata) and baked until oozing then finished off with the most delicious basil & pistachio pesto!
- Preheat the oven to 220℃
- Lay the egg plant out on kitchen paper and sprinkle both sides generously with salt, leave for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile in a food processor blitz the basil, rocket, garlic, pistachios, and salt and gradually add half of the of the olive oil
- Add the cheese and the remaining olive oil, taste and adjust salt
- You can add more olive oil depending on your desired consistency, set aside
- Blot the eggplants with more paper towels and season with salt and pepper
- In separate containers, lay out the 4 beaten eggs and the panko breadcrumbs seasoned with the chilli flakes, garlic powder, Italian herbs, salt and pepper
- Place each slice of eggplant egg into the egg mix, rolling to cover
- Remove any excess then roll in the breadcrumbs, making sure it is well and evenly coated
- Place slices on a cooling rack on a baking sheet
- Spray the tops of eggplant generously with oil spray and bake for about 8-10 minutes
- Turn each slice, and spray the other side and bake an additional 8-10 minutes
- Remove from the oven to cool slightly.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 175C
- Start assembling the stack: Place a large slice of eggplant on the oven tray lined with parchment paper (you could use a cooking ring for each stack to keep it in place)
- Spoon some marinara sauce over the eggplant and then a slice of burrata on top
- Place another slice of eggplant on the burrata and repeat the process
- Bake the stacks until the cheese has melted, about 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven, transfer to your serving dish and drizzle with plenty of the pesto
- Serve immediately
TIP: If you have leftover pesto then just freeze it and use on another day!
**My homemade marinara sauce can be found under ‘Sunday Spaghetti & Meatballs recipe on the blog**