You can jump to the right place in the video by clicking on the 'Watch' link in each step or watch the whole video at the bottom of the page.
- In an ovenproof frying pan add the sugar and water and cook until the caramel has started to darken. Watch
- Add the butter and stir until well combined. Watch
- Peel the apples and then cut in half, use a melon baller to remove the core then pop a star anise into the cavity of a few of them. Watch
- Carefully place the apples, cut side down, into the caramel then continue cooking for around 10 minutes. Then leave too cool. Watch
- Cut a circle of pastry slightly larger than the pan you are cooking in then carefully tuck pastry around the apples in the pan, tucking in around and under the apples where you can. Prick a hole in the top of the pastry. Watch
- Place in a pre-heated oven set at 200℃ and bake for 30-35 minutes. Watch
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand for a minute before turning out onto a plate. Watch