- Remove the celery threads and cut into slices.
- Peel the onion and chop the onion and garlic into small pieces.
- Peel the carrot and cut it into slices or half moons.
- Remove the venison from the refrigerator and dry them with some kitchen paper and season with sal and ground peper.
- Brush and clean the potatoes and cut them into wedges. Put the potatoes in water till you are going to add them to the stwe. This is because they will noy change color in the mean time.
The stew on the grill
- Fill the grill with lump charcoal and start a fire with two firelighters on the left and right between the charcoal. Let it burn for about 5 minutes with the cover open, install the ring where you can put your dutch oven in on the top of the grill or use your grill grates. Close the lid and make sure the bottom and top vents are open. Close your kamado and adjust the temperature to about 180℃ At this point, almost close the the bottom vent, leaving it open just a little. Close the top vent till it's open for 1/8.
- When the temperature has reached 180℃ you can place the dutch oven in your barbecue. Let the dutch oven heat up for about 5 minutes.
- Pour a dash of olive oil into the dutch oven and add the venison. Bake the venison on all sides till it's brown.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery and bake for about 5 minuts.
- Pour the wine and chicken stock along with the tomato paste, thyme and bay leaf.
- Bring it to the boil and try to get the temperature of the kamado around 150℃ so that it does not continue to cook too hard because we make a stew.
- Place the lid on the Dutch Oven and close the lid from your kamado for one hour.
- After an hour it is time to add the carrot and potatoes.
- Replace the lid of the Dutch Oven and wait another hour until everything is done.
- Remove the lid from the Dutch Oven and check whether the thickness of the sauce is as desired. Add the peas and wait another 5 minutes until they are warm. If the sauce is too thin for you, you can reduce the sauce with the lid of the Dutch Oven open.
- Serve the dish in the skillet on the table, but pay attention because the skillet is super hot.
- Now it is time to taste the stew and check that it is nicely flavored. Add salt and freshly ground pepper if necessary. It's quite a meal, but we also like to eat a piece of bread with it.
Good luck making, and greetings from GrillFun!!!