Cornmeal porridge is traditional porridge in Jamaica and one of my favourites. This porridge is perfect for the colder months when you need that early morning lift before starting work or a weekend breakfast in bed. I personally started to have mine plant based but the recipe typically calls for condensed milk/evaporated milk, I also love to add some texture with some nuts and fruit.
You many see other methods online but i promise you this method avoids lumps every-time
- Mixing bowl
- Start by pouring half the water and spices into a saucepan and bring to gentle boil.
- Whilst the water is boiling, in a bowl add the cornmeal and slowly incorporate the remaining water until it forms a thick paste slightly thicker than pancake batter.
- Once your water is boiling add your milk and vanilla extract to the saucepan and reduce to a low to medium heat.
- Slowly pour your cornmeal mix into the saucepan whisking as you pour to avoid lumps.
- Whisk until you start to get heat pockets/bubbles. Add your desired amount of sugar to taste and adjust any spices.
- If using evaporated milk/or extra oat milk add a touch more just before serving to loosen the porridge.
- Serve and add toppings.