Making the sauce
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and red pepper, season with a good pinch of sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and herbs and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, around 1 minute.
- Add the passata and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the fresh basil. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly-ground pepper.
Making the ratatouille
- Heat the oven to 200℃/fan 180℃. While the sauce is simmering, thinly slice the courgette, aubergine and tomato.
- Spread the sauce onto the base of a medium roasting tin. Layer the sliced vegetables over the sauce, either in rows or in a spiral. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine the olive oil, garlic granules, dried thyme, dried basil and dried parsley in a small bowl. Brush or spoon the oil over the vegetables.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes; remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Enjoy!