- Rinse and soak the lentils for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prep the following ingredients: 1) Finely chop the red onion, mince the garlic and peel and mince the fresh ginger. 2) Combine the spices in a small bowl. 3) Separately measure out the water and the coconut milk.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the spices and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the stock cubes, breaking them up in the saucepan with a wooden spoon. Add the hot water and stir to dissolve. Add the coconut milk and soaked lentils and stir to combine. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the dal to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, roughly chop the fresh coriander; reserve for garnish.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Taste and season the dal with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. To serve, top with the fresh coriander and serve with steamed rice.
STORAGE: this dal can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months; defrost in the fridge overnight before heating.