Fig & Almond Olive Oil Cake with Whipped Goats Cheese & Sticky Pomegranate Drizzle
A good quality EVOO is an absolute must and if you didn’t know already makes exceptionally good cakes. Although it may not look it, this is a ridiculously easy cake to make, the batter is made with basic pantry ingredients, EVOO, a hint of lemon zest and vanilla bean paste.
Slices of fresh figs are poked into the batter before baking which result in an incredibly sweet, caramelised, jammyness that keeps the almond sponge even more moist… SOOOO DIVINE!!!
I would happily devour this cake without the toppings so if you don’t want the extra effort it isn’t necessary, the toppings just make the cake extra decadent… the sweet flavour of the sticky pomegranate drizzle and fresh figs pair perfectly with the tangy goat’s cheese. 😋
Shareable happiness in my opinion… 😍 Who’s in??
The cake can be baked in a regular cake tin too, a bundt tin isn’t necessary at all… I know you’ll love this one.. go on.. give it a go while those gorgeous figs are in season!! Would love to know if you try it.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, grease your cake tin with spray or oil, then dust with 2 tbsps of sugar, coat the sides well and shake to discard any excess
- Add all the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl with the lemon zest, mix well
- Using a standing mixer with the whisk attachment or an electric handheld whisk, beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes
- Put the olive oil in a bowl, add the juice of 1 lemon and the vanilla bean paste, mix well
- Start the mixer on high speed, gradually pouring in the olive oil mixture until combined, mix for about 3-4 minutes
- Remove the mixing bowl and fold in 1/3 of the flour mix with a spatula, repeat this process twice then pour the batter into the greased cake tin
- Carefully push the fig segments evenly into the batter and bake for 55 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool
- Serve the cake at room temperature with the whipped goats cheese and sticky fig drizzle
METHOD WHIPPED GOATS CHEESE
- To prepare the whipped goats cheese, whip the cream to medium stuff peaks, set aside in the refrigerator
- Whisk the goats cheese and sugar together, add the lemon zest, lemon juice and finely chopped mint
- Carefully fold the whipped cream into the goats cheese mixture until it is smooth, set aside
METHOD STICKY FIG DRIZZLE
- Mix together the balsamic vinegar, pomegranate molasses and honey
- Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking the whole time until combined and smooth
- Set aside until ready to use