BEEF STEW & Polenta
Beef Stew and Creamy Polenta
BEEF SHORT RIB
1. Season beef with salt and pepper then dust it in some flour. Shake of an excess flour. Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil in a deep saucepan. Brown beef in batches on both sides and then set aside.
2. Add the rest of the Olive oil to the saucepan and sauté onions until softened. Add garlic, cumin cook for 30-45seconds. Then add half the carrots & peppers and cook for a further 3 minutes.
3. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, then add the stock cube and stir until it has dissolved.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, thyme, bay leaves stir to mix. Place the beef back in the saucepan and the stock. Cover and cook for 2 ½ hours, during, check to see if the beef is done and add more water if needed.
5. Then, once the sauce has reduced, check the seasonings. I usually add dried herbs and let the stew cook for another 20minutes.
6. Remove the only beef from the saucepan, leaving the sauce in and set aside then discard the bay leaf, thyme sprig.
7. Then using a hand-held blender, blend the sauce until smooth. Add the butter & the beef back into the saucepan.
8. Add roughly medium-sized chopped carrots. Reduce heat & let it stew for another 10minute.
1. Add water to a saucepan and bring the water to a boil and add salt to the water.
2. Then slowly add the polenta stirring with a whisk or wooden spoon.
3. Continue stirring until the polenta starts to thicken for 3-5minutes.
4. Reduce heat and cook for 25-30minutes. Stirring every 8-10minutes or so.
5. If your polenta is too thick add about ½ a cup of water add and continue whisking until is incorporated.
6. Add a butter and cheese and stir to mix well until the cheese has melted.
7. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
You should end up with soft polenta and serve hot it with a stew of anything you like.