- Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Remove from the heat and add the dried porcini mushrooms; cover and allow to soak for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, prep the following ingredients: 1) Finely chop the onion. 2) Finely chop the garlic cloves. 3) Slice the chestnut mushrooms. 4) Grate the Grana Padano. 5) Roughly chop the fresh parsley.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the porcini mushrooms from the stock; use the back of a large spoon to gently press down on the mushrooms to drain, letting the stock drip back into the saucepan. Transfer the porcini mushrooms to a chopping board, cool and chop finely. Cover the stock, return to the stove and keep warm over very low heat.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chestnut mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the rice, season with ½ tsp salt and some freshly-ground black pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped porcini mushrooms, add the wine and cook, stirring often, until the pan is almost dry, 1 to 2 mins.
- Add one ladleful of the mushroom-y stock and cook, stirring almost constantly, until the stock is fully absorbed. Add another ladleful of stock and cook, stirring almost constantly, until the stock is fully absorbed. Repeat this process until the rice is cooked; it should be tender but with a slight bite; the whole process should take around 25 to 30 mins. If you run out of stock before the rice is cooked, add one ladleful of hot water at a time, stirring frequently until absorbed, until the rice is cooked to your liking.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the butter, Grana Padano and parsley and stir well. Cover the saucepan and allow the risotto to sit for 3 minutes before serving. You might be tempted to skip this step but don’t – this is when the risotto becomes deliciously creamy. Taste and season with salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Serve with a sprinkle of Grana Padano.