- Remove the pastrami from the refrigerator you already have made and cut it into thin slices.
- Make the coleslaw by grating the white cabbage in a food processor.
- Place the grated coleslaw in a bowl and add the ingredients such as the mayo, vinegar, honey, celery seeds, salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir well and set the coleslaw aside. You can also make the coleslaw a day in advance and place it in the refrigerator.
- Next we will make the sauce for the sandwich. Take a bowl and add the mayo, ketchup, mustard, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir well and taste the sauce.
- Peel and cut the onions in half and then into half rings.
Grilling pastrami sandwich
- Fill the grill with lump charcoal and start a fire with two firelighters on the left and right between the charcoal. Let it burn for about 5 minutes with the cover open, install the baking plate and let it warmup. Close your kamado and adjust the temperature to about 180℃ At this point, almost close the the bottom vent, leaving it open just a little.
- When the temperature of 180 degrees has been reached, you can pour a little olive oil on the baking plate.
- Add the onions and fry the onions until they have a nice color, this will take about 10 minutes. You can close the kamado or just leave it open.
- When the onions have a nice color you can remove them and grill the pastrami on the baking plate until they are warm.
- Take two slices of bread and add the sauce and then the cheese.
- Add the onions on one side and remove the pastrami from the barbecue and place it on the onions.
- After this you can put the side with only the cheese and sauce on the top of the pastrami.
- Cover both sides of the bread with a little butter and place the sandwich on the baking plate and grill both sides until golden brown and the cheese has melted. This works the best by briefly closing the lid of the kamado.
- Remove the pastrami sandwich from the barbecue and open it by removing the side with only the pastrami. The pastrami will stick to the top due to the melted cheese.
- Top the pastrami sandwich in the middle with the coleslaw and the fried onions.
- Now it's time to enjoy your homemade Rueben sandwich pastrami.
Good luck making, and greetings from GrillFun!!!