Masala Jackfruit Burger
Here’s a fab one for #MeatFreeMonday guys!! The patty is packed with flavour, ginger garlic, onions, chillis, mustard leaves and homegrown curry leaves, added to that spices of turmeric, chilli powder, cumin, garam masala and coriander. I used @naturescharm tinned jackfruit which I sprinkled with turmeric, chilli powder and salt, sautéed then shredded and added to the pan with some fresh tomatoes, yogurt, a squeeze of lime and some tamarind to balance out the flavours as well as plenty of fresh coriander.
The patty was sandwiched in a brioche bun with lettuce, juicy tomatoes and coriander mint chutney… insanely good… A MUST TRY… even the kids were devoured them and who would have thought I could get them to eat jackfruit?!!
- Drain the jackfruit from the tin, place in a bowl and sprinkle 1 tsp each of the ground turmeric, chilli powder and the salt, toss to coat
- In a saucepan over medium heat add the vegetable oil and sauté the jackfruit for about 10 minutes until it softens, remove to another bowl and shred
- Add some oil to the same saucepan and sauté the onion for 5-6 minutes until soft, then sauté the ginger, garlic, chilli, mustard seeds and curry leaves for a few minutes until fragrant
- Add the rest of the turmeric, chilli powder and salt, then add tomatoes, ground cumin, coriander and garam masala, cook for another minute then add the yogurt
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and continue to cook for a couple more minutes
- Add the shredded jackfruit to the pan along with the tamarind paste and cook a further couple of minutes
- Stir in the lime juice and chopped fresh coriander, set aside to cool
- Once cooled add the gram flour and beaten egg and mix well
- Form into burger size patty’s, lay the burgers in a single layer on a tray and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Heat a frying man on medium-high with a little oil and shallow fry the patty’s until they form a slight crust and become golden
- Place all ingredients for chutney in a food processor and blitz, set aside
- To assemble, toast the brioche buns slightly, add a dollop of yogurt and a spoon of chutney, add the sliced tomatoes, lettuce and jackfruit burger
- Devour while still hot! Enjoy!