For The Marinade
- Add the garlic, soy, zest, juice and salt and pepper and mix well with the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of an hour but up to 24 hours.
For The Batter
- Mix the flour, cornflour, salt and pepper fully.
- Whisk in the Soy and sparkling water until a smooth batter is achieved. (Do not over whisk or you will lose the air from the sparkling water).
- Set aside until ready to use.
For The Sauce
- In a saucepan, on a medium high heat add a dash of oil and add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes keeping it moving to avoid catching.
- Add the stock, soy, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and honey. Slowly whisk until sugar is dissolved then simmer for 5 minutes
- Add a pinch of salt
- In a small bowl mix the cornflour and water then gradually whisk into the sauce to thicken it then turn off the heat.
Cooking the chicken
- Heat a deep fat fryer/pan fryer (be careful) to between 160c-180c
- In batches dip the chicken into the batter and then carefully drop the chicken into the fryer and cook for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove chicken onto kitchen roll to drain excess oil.
- Toss the Chicken through the sauce and serve with rice or noodles topped with spring onion, sesame seeds and charred lemon.