Unagi Mini Sushi Cake
Grilled Japanese Eel (unagi), crisp on the outside and succulent on the inside fanned on top of seasoned sushi rice and avocado tartare then drizzled with flavour bursting sweet thick soy sauce, thin nori sheets are wrapped around the sushi rice, the top is decorated with tempura shimeji mushrooms, garnished with curled cucumber and yellow edible flowers.
Not sure why I haven’t posted this one yet.. when I did the sushi cake series earlier this year, this one was my favourite, it’s the only one that didn’t make the cut for the magazine feature… so here is it…. hope you guys like it?!
Legend has it that Unagi is a powerful aphrodisiac… did you know that random fact?? 🤣
FOR THE TEMPURA SHIMEJI MUSHROOMS (OPTIONAL)
Search under recipes on my site for ‘Crispy Light Tempura Vegetables’. This recipe is for more than just a few mushrooms so make some tempura veggies to accompany your sushi cakes or simply leave out the tempura if you prefer.
- Place cooked hot sushi rice in a wooden bowl and season with sushi rice vinegar, soya sauce and furikake, mix, cover with a damp tea towel
- Place avocado in a bowl with soya sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha, Japanese mayonnaise and chives, mix carefully not to mush up the avocado, set aside
- Grease or brush the inside of the cooking ring and with a touch of sesame oil, grease your chopping board a little too so the rice can be easily removed
- Place the cooking ring on the greased board and fill 1/3 way up with the seasoned sushi rice, flatten the rice with the ring pusher
- Fill another 1/3 way up with some of the avocado tartar and again flatten with the ring pusher
- Add more sushi rice to the cooking ring to fill it to the top, flatten again, then remove the ring
- Place the nori sheets around the rice cake in a cross-cross pattern tucking them in under the cake
- Arrange the warm unagi in a fan shape on top of the rice, drizzle with the sweet soy sauce
- Decorate with the tempura shimeji mushrooms, a cucumber curl and edible flowers
- Repeat this process for your remaining cakes
- Serve immediately and enjoy!