- Peel the onions and cut in quarters.
- Place in a pot and cover with water, bring them to a simmer and let them cook through until the onions are soft and most water evaporates (approx 40 min)
- On a different pan, brown the beef mince, no olive oil needed
- Once the mincemeat is done, keep the pan on low heat and integrate the cooked onions. Stir of a couple of minutes.
- Remove from fire, add salt and pepper to taste and your kefalotiri or hard yellow cheese of choice. The filling is ready.
- Lightly oil your baking tray and layer your first filo pastry sheet. Brush some more olive oil and repeat with 3-4 filo pastry sheets for the bottom.
- Evenly layer your mincemeat and onion filling.
- Layer another 3-4 pastry sheets on top, remembering to brush with a bit of olive oil.
- Depending on your filo pastry, if it’s crusty you can trim or roll the excess and tuck it on the side.
- Bake on a preheated oven at 180℃ for 35-40 minutes.
Prep 10 minutes
Total 1 hour 30 minutes
US | Metric
Greek beef mince pie
500 g filo pastry
800 g red onions
750 g beef mince
150 g hard yellow cheese
salt & pepper to taste
olive oil for brushing the filo pastry