BBQ Sea Bream with a Wafu Chimichurri
Just livin’ the bream with this one... 😜 A crazy fusion concoction of a Japanese wafu and Argentinian chimichurri marinade which I attempted to recreate after trying it at my fav restaurant, Dinings in London.
Fresh coriander and parsley, lots of garlic and onion, then the Asian ingredients, soya sauce, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, yuzu juice, sesame oil and mirin, all blitzed in the food processor with butter, brown sugar and maple syrup... I know it sounds strange and I can’t promise I recreated it to perfection, but it tasted beautiful with the delicate, flaky fish, so buttery and fresh with hints of sweet, salty and sour, the perfect balance.
The fish was marinated inside and out with the wafu chimichurri and cooked till beautifully crisp and charred on the BBQ.
🥬 Crispy Roasted Kalettes with Furikake - Kalettes (little kale flowers) were simply drizzled with EVOO, sprinkled with salt and Japanese furikake seasoning and then roasted until crispy... I could snack on these all day long.
🌽 Honey Miso Butter Grilled Corn - Butter, soya sauce, miso and honey mixed into a paste, brushed over corn on the cob and grilled on the BBQ. More paste brushed on top when hot and its sprinkled with fresh coriander before serving.
🥣 Sesame Beansprout Salad - Blanched bean sprouts mixed with sesame oil, soya sauce, toasted sesame seeds and spring onions.
🍄 Sautéed Mushrooms - A mix of baby king oyster, shiitake and oyster mushrooms sautéed in butter and garlic with a splash of soya sauce.
🧄 Baked Chilli Garlic Cauli Wings. (recipe already on the blog)
🍚 Homemade Kimchi and sticky sushi rice.
Just the most perfect selection of deliciousness, thoroughly enjoyed every bit of this dinner!
METHOD WAFU CHIMICHURRI
- Blitz Sauce in a blender
- Marinate fish inside and outside, refrigerate for at least an hour
- TO BBQ - place fish in BBQ fish grills and char on both sides over the flames until cooked.
- TO ROAST - Pre-heat the oven to 190°C
- Place the fish on an oven tray or in an oven dish on top of a bed of onions sliced thick which have been drizzled with oil and salted
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until the fish is opaque and flakes easily
METHOD BEANSPROUT SALAD
- Blanch beansprouts for 1 minute in boiling water, drain and rinse in cold water, leave to dry
- Mix with remaining ingredients, leave to marinade for at least 15 minutes before serving
METHOD MISO BUTTER CORN
- Mix all ingredients except corn in a bowl together well
- Coat the corn with the miso butter
- Heat the BBQ and grill until charred brushing regularly with any leftover miso butter, about 15 minutes
- Serve hot sprinkled with coriander and more miso butter