- Pat the short ribs dry and season generously with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Heat a splash of extra-virgin olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the short ribs, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Transfer the browned short ribs to a plate.
- Pour out the fat, leaving the browned bits at the bottom of the pot behind. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and carrot and season with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until nice and soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the garlic, rosemary and spices and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomato purée and cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to caramelize and darken, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the red wine, orange juice and zest and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by around ¾, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes and beef stock. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Return the short ribs (and their juices) to the pot, bone side up, and bring everything to a simmer. Cover and bake until the short ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender, 3 ½ to 4 hours.
- Transfer the short ribs to a large bowl and let them rest for 10 mins. Meanwhile, skim off the excess fat from the surface of the ragù using a large spoon or ladle.
- Coarsely shred the short ribs using 2 forks. Return the shredded short ribs to the sauce. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Serve Bolognese-style with pappardelle or use it as a base for a delicious lasagna.