For the Pastry
- Rub flour and butter together to the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the icing sugar and then the egg yolk. Mix together to form a soft, smooth dough.
- Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
For the Crumble Mix
- Rub flour and butter together to form a breadcrumb texture.
- Stir in the oats and sugar and set aside.
For the Filling
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the apples and lemon juice and cook for 3-4 minutes then add the pears, all spice, cinnamon and sugar.
- Mix and cook until the fruit is quite soft but still has a slight bite.
- Add the walnuts and allow mixture to cool.
And now.. The Assembly
- Roll out the pastry and line the pie dish. This pastry is quite short so gentle handling is required (although, of course you can always use ready-made pastry).
- Blind bake the pastry at 160℃ for about 10-15 minutes. Remove the baking beans or whatever you used during the blind baking (I have dried pasta that I use time and time again).
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and brush with some beaten egg.
- Return to the oven and bake at 130℃ for a further 10-15 minutes so the case is a lovely golden brown and we don’t have a soggy bottom!
- Allow to cool.
- When cool, add the fruit mix and spoon over the crumble mix.
- Bake at 180℃ for about 20 minutes until the crumble topping is a lovely golden brown and the filling is hot. If the filling isn’t quite hot enough, return it to a cooler oven (about 150c) for a further 10 minutes.
- When baked, remove from the dish, slice and serve.